Jeff Legwold | ESPN.com
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos will have their full allotment of wide receivers when they open their postseason Jan. 12 in the AFC divisional round.
Broncos coach John Fox said Monday that Wes Welker, who has been recovering from a concussion, will play the next time Denver takes the field.
“He’s been cleared to play,” Fox said.
Welker, who suffered a concussion in the Broncos’ win over the Tennessee Titans earlier this month, practiced on a limited basis last week but is expected to be a full participant when Denver returns to the practice field Thursday.
The veteran receiver did not play in Sunday’s regular-season finale against the Oakland Raiders but made the trip with the team.
Welker, who finished with 73 catches for 778 yards and 10 touchdowns, missed the final three games of the regular season. He suffered a concussion just before halftime of the Broncos’ Dec. 8 victory over the Titans. He also suffered a concussion Nov. 17 in a victory over the Kansas City Chiefs.
By clearing the league’s concussion protocol, Welker has been declared symptom-free by the Broncos’ medical staff as well as by an independent physician approved by both the NFL and the players’ association.
- Covered Broncos for nine years for Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News
- Previously covered Steelers, Bills and Titans
- Member of Pro Football Hall of Fame Board
of Selectors since 1999