HOUSTON — Texans owner Bob McNair is open to trading out of the No. 1 overall selection in this year’s NFL draft.
“Maybe we’ll trade down and still get a quarterback that can do the job and get an outstanding defensive player,” McNair said Friday. “It’s an exciting time. Everything’s a moving target. Lot of different pieces.”
The Texans secured the top pick with a league-worst 2-14 record this season. They fired coach Gary Kubiak on Dec. 6 and officially announced the hiring of Bill O’Brien on Friday to be the franchise’s third head coach.
“I don’t think you take a particular position just because you need a particular position at any point in the draft, especially the first pick,” Texans general manager Rick Smith said. “So we’ll rank it, we’ll value it, and we’ll make good choices if the opportunity presents itself to move back because it is a very valuable pick, and we’ll entertain those as well.”
This is the third time the Texans have had the No. 1 overall pick, and each time it has coincided with a new head coach. With their first No. 1 overall pick, the expansion Texans selected quarterback David Carr in 2002. With their second in 2006, the Texans took pass-rusher Mario Williams.
Unfortunately, both suffered losing seasons in those years, combining to go 10-22.
“The defensive player worked out better than the offensive player,” McNair said with a chuckle. “That won’t lock us into anything.”
- Previously covered Texans for Houston Chronicle and Jaguars for Florida Times-Union
- Northwestern University graduate