ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Former Michigan offensive tackle Taylor Lewan’s arraignment for three misdemeanor assault charges has been postponed from Tuesday until May.
The two-time Big Ten offensive lineman of the year, who is expected to be a first-round pick in May’s NFL draft, will be charged with one count of aggravated assault and two counts of assault or assault and battery in a Dec. 1, 2013, incident.
He is scheduled to be in Michigan’s 15th District Court on May 19 in front of judge Elizabeth Pollard Hines for arraignment and pretrial hearings. The delayed date for the appearance also pushes his first date in the matter from before the May 8-10 draft until after it.
Lewan’s attorney in the case, John Shea, said that moving the date of the court appearance is not uncommon.
“When an attorney is involved, it is common in this court for the arraignment to be adjourned and combined with the next stage in the process, the pretrial hearing,” Shea said in an email to ESPN.com. “In this case, given the schedules of the parties and the available pretrial dates of the court, the first available arraignment and pr trial date was May 19. So that is the date I requested.”
The Ann Arbor News has reported the incident as an alleged fight with Ohio State fans.
At the NFL combine in February, Lewan denied any wrongdoing in the case.
“I went over the Ohio State incident once before” Lewan said in Indianapolis. I wasn’t in any fight of any kind. I was actually breaking something up and some guy said that I slugged him, but that’s not who I am off the field, that’s not the kind of person I am.
“It might seem that way because of the way I play football, but that’s not the way I am as a person.”
Lewan is ranked No. 6 overall in ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay’s top 32 players available.Previously covered University of Michigan for ESPN.com and AnnArbor.com
Also covered Notre Dame for Fort Wayne Journal Gazette