Tim MacMahon | ESPN.com
ARLINGTON, Texas — Owner/general manager Jerry Jones continued to be firm that Jason Garrett would return as the Dallas Cowboys‘ head coach after the franchise’s third consecutive 8-8 finish but was noncommittal about potential changes with the coaching staff.
“I said that a month ago,” Jones said when asked if he remained committed to Garrett as his coach following the Cowboys’ 24-22 loss Sunday night to the Philadelphia Eagles, marking the third straight season in which Dallas failed to win a de facto NFC East title game in Week 17. “I stand by what I said a month ago.”
The Cowboys are 29-27 under Garrett, who took over when Wade Phillips was fired midway through the 2010 season and had the interim tag removed following that year. The Cowboys have missed the playoffs in each of the last four seasons, marking the longest postseason drought of Jones’ 25-year tenure.
Asked about his job security, Garrett said, “Not real concerned about that. Just focused on doing my job. We all put a lot of time, effort and energy and our guts into this game and disappointing loss for us. That’s where our focus and energies lie.”
Jones followed through on his vow of an “uncomfortable” offseason after last year’s 8-8 campaign with several changes to Garrett’s coaching staff. The most notable were the firing of defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, the forced resignation of Garrett’s older brother, tight ends coach/passing coordinator John Garrett, and Jason Garrett giving up play-calling duties to offensive coordinator Bill Callahan.
Jones declined to discuss Sunday night whether any changes to the coaching staff would be made this offseason.
“I’m not discussing that at all,” Jones said. “I have spoken a little more appropriate time here about three or four weeks ago. I said at that time that I was with Jason, that I thought that his future and what he’s going to be doing with us was good. But this isn’t the time and I don’t even like the way it feels or looks to speak to anything about our coaches.”
There has been much speculation that 73-year-old defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin will not return for a second season with the Cowboys after Dallas allowed 6,645 yards, third-most in NFL history. However, Jones said “there’s more to look at and evaluate with Monte” than statistics, noting that the defense was decimated by injuries.
Kiffin said he hasn’t been concerned about keeping his job and hopes to be back with the Cowboys next season.
“I don’t plan on retiring,” Kiffin said. “I want to keep on coaching. I really would. It’s no laughing matter. I’m proud to be a Cowboy. I’d like to get another shot next year. We’ll see.”
- Joined ESPNDallas.com in September 2009
- Covers the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Mavericks
- Appears regularly on ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM