James Walker | ESPN.com
However, the embattled guard still remains in South Florida. WSVN Channel 7 caught up with Incognito briefly Tuesday in a parking lot in Weston for his first comments since the suspension and ugly details of his interactions with Martin became public.
“You know what, I’m just trying to weather the storm right now,” Incognito told WSVN Tuesday. “This will pass.”
According to WSVN, Incognito refused comment when asked about his standing with the Dolphins.
“You know, no comment right now,” Incognito said. “We’re just gonna kinda weather the storm, and that’s it.”
ESPN reported the transcription of an April voicemail from Incognito that included racial slurs and physical threats toward Martin, who left the team last week following a lunchroom incident. Reportedly, Martin also was the victim of persistent harassment from Incognito since Martin was a rookie in 2012.
The NFLPA released a statement Tuesday saying it will have a fair investigation.
“We expect that the NFL and its clubs create a safe and professional workplace for all players and that owners, executives, coaches and players should set the best standards and examples,” the union’s statement said. “As the representative organization of all players, the NFLPA will insist on a fair investigation for all involved. We will continue to remain in contact with the impacted players, their representatives and player leadership.”
The NFL also is reviewing the Dolphins’ situation independently. Miami coach Joe Philbin explained Monday that team owner Stephen Ross has been in contact with the league and commissioner Roger Goodell.
“I will give my full and complete and total corporation with the NFL,” Philbin said Monday. “When that takes place, the timeline on that I don’t have the specifics of. I will tell you I will be in full and complete cooperation with them. I will answer everything honestly to the best of my knowledge.”
- A Temple graduate and Hyattsville, Md., native who lives in Miami
- Joined ESPN in 2008