Dolphins ask NFL to probe Martin allegations

Updated: November 3, 2013, 6:01 PM ET


By
James Walker | ESPN.com


Representatives for Miami Dolphins starting right tackle Jonathan Martin contacted the team Sunday regarding allegations of harassment and player misconduct, with the team saying in a statement they have asked the NFL to investigate the matter.

According to the Dolphins, Martin’s reps officially contacted the team on Sunday and outlined areas of concern for their player.

“We received notification today from Jonathan’s representation about allegations of player misconduct. We are taking these allegations very seriously and plan to review the matter further,” the Dolphins said in the statement.

“We have also reached out to the NFL and asked them to conduct an objective and thorough review. As an organization, we are committed to a culture of team-first accountability and respect for one another.”

Martin left the team last week following a lunchroom incident with teammates, and it is unknown when he will return to the Dolphins. Various reports indicate that Martin has been harassed in his two seasons in Miami.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter reported earlier Sunday that Martin hadn’t filed an official complaint with the NFL Players Association due to fear of backlash from his teammates. 

Sources tell ESPN that an NFLPA review preliminarily identifies Dolphins guard Richie Incognito as an alleged offender in multiple incidents of possible harassment and bullying over the past two seasons, with Martin not the only victim.

Incognito took to Twitter on Sunday, stating that he wants his “name cleared.” He called the reports “false speculation” and “slander” and said ESPN was hiding behind sources “who are not man enough to put their name behind the BS you report.”

@AdamSchefter Enough is enough If you or any of the agents you sound off for have a problem with me, you know where to find me #BRINGIT

— Richie incognito (@68INCOGNITO) November 3, 2013

Sources told ESPN that one of the significant allegations being reviewed is that Incognito got Martin to contribute $15,000 to help finance a trip to Las Vegas by a group of Dolphins last summer, even though Martin preferred not to travel with the group.

Rather than go, Martin simply gave Incognito the $15,000, sources told ESPN, fearing the consequences if he did not hand over the money.

The Dolphins must make a decision by Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET on whether to carry Martin on the active roster, which means he would get paid, or place him on the non-football illness list, which means he might not get paid and would potentially lose service time that counts toward being a vested veteran eligible for post-career benefits.

Martin’s attorneys and the union are monitoring his roster status, and Martin wants assurance that if and when he returns, it will be a safe workplace environment.

The Dolphins (4-4) had the weekend off but will return to practice on Monday in preparation for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter contributed to this report.

  • A Temple graduate and Hyattsville, Md., native who lives in Miami
  • Joined ESPN in 2008

Leave a comment

300-101   400-101   300-320   300-070   300-206   200-310   300-135   300-208   810-403   400-050   640-916   642-997   300-209   400-201   200-355   352-001   642-999   350-080   MB2-712   400-051   C2150-606   1Z0-434   1Z0-146   C2090-919   C9560-655   642-647   100-101   CQE_Exam   CSSLP